Princess Leia was one of the requested character hats that I’m designing for my Crafting Blessing group. We are making hats for the local children’s hospital that requested character hats only. We are also working this month and next on hats (and other items) for the Ronald McDonald House in Dallas. This hat is adorable! I made this hat to have an indented center hair part and a crease to mimic the hair line. The buns on the side are simple and made on a small 24 peg loom, that comes in the basic loom set. You can make this pattern on any size loom for any size head.
KNIT STITCHES USED: Ewrap knit stitch, Purl stitch
- Loom, hook & yarn needle: 24 and 36 peg looms from a basic loom set
- Yarn: 1 strand of brown #5 or #6 chunky yarn or 2 strands of #4 worsted weight yarn
- Styrofoam Mannequin Head: https://amzn.to/33gB3GX
- I used 2 strands of brown #4 worsted weight yarn – I love this Yarn! from Hobby Lobby
- Another yarn option: Loops & Treads Charisma – Espresso: https://amzn.to/2Qez5kW
- Another yarn option: I love this Chunky! brand from Hobby Lobby – Heathered Brown
In this tutorial you will learn how to loom knit a princess with side hair buns on a round loom from start to finish. This size hat on the 36 peg loom will usually fit ages 2 years old – adults, depending on the length of the hat. The final length of the hat I made in this tutorial was 7.875”, which fits my 6 & 7 year olds perfectly. Make it longer or shorter to fit your needs. Note: depending on the yarn you are using and other variables, your length may be different. Measure the hat as you go until desired length.
You can use this pattern on any size loom.
Feel free to use this pattern, but please see the following information regarding use of this pattern.
Please do not copy or distribute this pattern in any manner or claim as your own.
You may sell products made from this pattern only if you clearly credit the design to me (The Davet Homestead) and provide a link to my blog www.thedavethomestead.com. No mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind is allowed. My photos may NOT be used, you must take your own photos of your finished products for your use. Please considering making hats from this pattern and donating them to your local children’s hospital, women’s shelter, homeless shelter, etc.
Here is a FREE pdf for you to download and the video tutorial as well. Considering making a small donation ($3 suggested – though anything is appreciated) for the downloaded pdf pattern: paypal.me/BridgetDavet.
Hope you enjoy making this pattern. Feel free to post your final projects to my Facebook page. Please subscribe to my blog to get notifications on all my upcoming projects.
Here is the video tutorial of how to make this loom knitted princess with side hair buns hat. Please subscribe to my channel so you can receive notifications when I upload new videos and give my videos a thumbs up.
Here are my product recommendations:
- Another great knitting loom: https://amzn.to/2VsoILt
- 5/8” gauge loom: https://amzn.to/2GTYnRz
- Knitting Board Ergonomic Knit Hook: https://amzn.to/2AS0Wj5
- Stitch/row counter: https://amzn.to/2F6UR5t
- Needle Threader: https://amzn.to/2FJR12B
- Knitting bag: https://amzn.to/2HEoEV4
- Yarn winder (I have the Knit Picks brand): https://amzn.to/2Rub2jL
- Yarn totes: https://amzn.to/2VujkqZ
- My favorite tote: https://amzn.to/2RvUWX1
Links to other video tutorials listed in this video:
- Double Ewrap cast on: https://youtu.be/5wYyz2OiGeY
- Uwrap knit rib stitch: https://youtu.be/XB7pNFkO474
- Purl stitch: https://youtu.be/msdW2fbxSGI
- Drawstring bind off: https://youtu.be/ktT5REdmz88