This loom knitted hat is so adorable, I can hardly stand it! This is the first of 3 unicorn designs I’m currently working on. I’m designing a bunch of different character hats for my Crafting Blessing group. We are making hats for the local children’s hospital and for local kids with hair loss from Alopecia. The hospital listed unicorn as one of the most wanted design. This hat is simple and super cute!
KNIT STITCHES USED: Ewrap knit stitch, Uwrap knit stitch, Purl stitch
- Loom, hook & yarn needle: 36 peg loom from a basic loom set
- Stuffing for horn: https://amzn.to/2EpsCOL
- Yarn: 1 strand of #5 chunky – I would suggest using the same type of yarn for inner and outer ear colors to make the inner and outer ears the correct size in relationship to each other:
- Loops & Treads Charisma – White: https://amzn.to/2UVjM0z
- Loops & Treads Charisma – Think Pink: https://amzn.to/2TQe7ss
- Loops & Treads Charisma – Fuchsia: https://amzn.to/2Ep8CMc
- Loops & Treads Charisma – Electric Blue: https://amzn.to/2Ep3QhE
- Loops & Treads Charisma – Dark Purple: https://amzn.to/2U2W1Uf
- 2 strands of cream colored #4 worsted weight yarn for horn (I used I love this Yarn! from Hobby Lobby)
– For any color you can use 2 strands of #4 worsted weight yarn or 1 strand of #6 super bulky (ears will be very bulky if using a #6 yarn)
In this tutorial you will learn how to loom knit a unicorn hat with ears, horn and flowers on a round loom from start to finish. This size hat on the 36 peg loom will usually fit ages 2 years old – adults, depending on the length of the hat. The final length of the hat I made in this tutorial was 7.75”, which fits my 5 & 6.5 year olds perfectly. Make it longer or shorter to fit your needs. Note: depending on the yarn you are using and other variables, your length may be different. Measure the hat as you go until desired length.
You can use this pattern on any size loom with an even number of pegs. For odd numbered looms, you will have to adjust the pattern. I would suggest ending each K2, P2 row with an extra P1 and each P2, K2 row with an extra K1.
Feel free to use this pattern, but please see the following information regarding use of this pattern. Supplies needed for this project are listed above and in the written pattern.
Please do not copy or distribute this pattern in any manner or claim as your own. Written copies of this pattern can be found for purchase in my Etsy shop: www.DavetDesigns2.etsy.com.
You may sell products made from this pattern only if you clearly credit the design to me (The Davet Homestead) and provide a link to my blog www.thedavethomestead.com. No mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind is allowed. My photos may NOT be used, you must take your own photos of your finished products for your use. Please considering making hats from this pattern and donating them to your local children’s hospital, women’s shelter, homeless shelter, etc.
The written pattern can be found for purchase in my Etsy shop and helps support my YouTube channel: www.DavetDesigns2.etsy.com.
Here is the video tutorial of how to make this loom knitted unicorn hat. Please subscribe to my channel so you can receive notifications when I upload new videos and give my videos a thumbs up.
Here are my product recommendations:
- Another great knitting loom: https://amzn.to/2VsoILt
- 5/8” gauge loom: https://amzn.to/2GTYnRz
- Knitting Board Ergonomic Knit Hook: https://amzn.to/2AS0Wj5
- Stitch/row counter: https://amzn.to/2F6UR5t
- Needle Threader: https://amzn.to/2FJR12B
- Knitting bag: https://amzn.to/2HEoEV4
- Yarn winder (I have the Knit Picks brand): https://amzn.to/2Rub2jL
- Yarn totes: https://amzn.to/2VujkqZ
- My favorite tote: https://amzn.to/2RvUWX1
Links to other video tutorials listed in this video:
- Double Ewrap cast on: https://youtu.be/5wYyz2OiGeY
- Uwrap knit rib stitch: https://youtu.be/XB7pNFkO474
- Purl stitch: https://youtu.be/msdW2fbxSGI
- Drawstring bind off: https://youtu.be/ktT5REdmz88
- Roses tutorial: https://youtu.be/HK5gbaPwFoc